Monday, December 27, 2010

SMEG vs. smegma

The Italian company Smeg makes beautiful appliances. The refrigerators in particular have a retro style that I love.

The only problem is that the company's name, SMEG, is plastered in large letters across the fridge door. "Smeg" reminds me of smegma (dick cheese, for those of you not in the know), and I can't imagine thinking of dick cheese everytime I went to grab something to eat out of the fridge. The other problem is they cost like two grand, but seriously I cannot get past the name.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, my sentiments exactly. I was calling people smegma breath long before there was a glimmer of Rimmer in the writers eyes. I saw this refridge in an episode of Escape to the Country last year and I just about fell on the floor. Do you think the manufactures know? What a huge cosmic joke that their finely styled retro way overpriced cold boxes would be lavished with such a grand name S M E G !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What "came" first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SMEG is an acronym for Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla, (Italian for Emilian Guastalla Metallurgical Enamelling Works), but they seriously had nobody who spoke English and pointed it out?

    ReplyDelete