Thursday, August 12, 2010

Keep on the sunny side

St James the Greater, the Catholic church in my neighborhood, has their weekly bulletin online and I read it every once in a while to find out about upcoming events like their flea market and carnival. Tucked away at the very end of the bulletin is my favorite part, the Virtue of the Week. I love the idea of focusing on a new affirmative and encouraging idea each week. The week I found a pack of cigarettes in a coat pocket a full year after I quit smoking the virtue was Accountability and that was just perfect for what I went through at that moment. This week's virtue, Optimism, is very fitting for what I'm going through right now.

Speaking of optimism versus pessimism, trust me when I tell you that you can skip Goldberg, the new Ben Stiller movie that just came out on DVD. I liked that Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale) directed it and that he and Jennifer Jason Leigh came up with the story, but the main character is so painfully pessimistic that it's impossible to care about him and difficult to even get through the movie.

The entire rest of the post is copied directly from the St. James bulletin, with no permission whatsoever.


Virtue of the Week: Optimism

Optimism is a positive, cheerful outlook. When we are optimistic, we are hopeful even when others have lost faith. We believe that good has the power to prevail over evil. We do not allow ourselves to be victimized by setbacks or losses. We embrace challenges with confidence and vitality. We are solvers, not complainers. In the midst of dark times, we look to the future with a vision of what is possible. We trust that everything works together for good. Nothing can destroy our hope.

"The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious of the rose." Kahlil Gibran

The Practice of Optimism
I have a positive viewpoint.
I have faith in all circumstances.
I trust in positive outcomes.
I focus on solutions rather than problems.
I see a brighter future.
My hope is resilient.
I am thankful for the Gift of Optimism. It cheers me on.

2 comments: