Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dirty Birds

In my daily perusal of several design blogs, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend in décor: birds. Birds as the subject of paintings, birds embroidered on throw pillows, birds incorporated in prints for bedding or wallpaper, etc., or worse, birds as knick knacks. Birds are disgusting animals that poop on your car; why would you want to have any representation of them in your home?

I can kind of get behind owls. We all have at least a couple positive memories of owls, like X the Owl from Mr. Rogers’ Make Believe Land, the inquisitive and impatient Mr. Owl researching how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, and of course, always charming macramé owls.

The only mental association I have with birds involves their filthy poop -- on my car, on my patio furniture, on my front door, even occasionally on me. Birds hate me for some reason, and I am not a big fan of birds.

Tomorrow: Times I Have Been Pooped On By Birds.

1 comment:

  1. As Edward G. Robinson used to always say, "Fuck birds! M'yeah, m'yeah!"

    ReplyDelete